Risk Mgmt Consultant
San Antonio, TX 78216 US
Contributes to the success of a high performing team in support of the enhancement and growth of the USAA risk management program. Influences processes at both the business unit and enterprise level and helps develop the agenda for risk management deliverables. Responsible for providing risk management support for a line of business or staff agency in key risk identification, measurement, monitoring, control and reporting, and the understanding and management of risk through appropriate practices and processes. Assists in the monitoring of the risk and control environment and provides effective challenge to internal and external stakeholders to ensure that exposures are kept at acceptable levels. Leads cross-functional teams and collaborates with control partners to achieve objectives across multiple business units or Centers of Excellence. Participates in and supports internal and external audits, regulatory reviews, and rating agency requests. Job Duties:
- Advises staff and leads initiatives that support risk management programs, to include governance support, risk oversight, risk infrastructure development, identification, quantification, and aggregation of key and emerging risks and/or operational risks and controls.
- Advises management and influences process change.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls, including risks associated with new or modified products, services, distribution channels, regulations and/or third-party operations.
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of risk policies and procedures in partnership with leadership to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Provides counsel to business unit managers on risk management issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on their impact to USAAs risk profile.
- Educates risk owners on risk management best practices and may work with other risk functions in the development and implementation of risk controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal loss data from business areas.
- May direct analysis and data mining initiatives that identify, validate, and manage emerging risk exposures.
- Assists in the early identification of risk trends by establishing and monitoring key performance and risk indicators.
Bachelor's degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or another relevant field. 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 6 years of risk management, regulatory or operations experience in a relevant functional area to include banking, insurance, financial services, audit, project management, public accounting or other related operational area.
- Advanced degree/designation in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or other discipline relevant to risk management and 4 years of work experience in a discipline relevant to risk management.
- PhD in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or other discipline relevant to risk management and 2 years of work experience in a discipline relevant to risk management.
- 2 years of direct team lead, supervisory or management experience.
- Risk management experience in a complex institution and/or highly matrixed environment related to banking, insurance and/or financial services.
- Demonstrated experience in conflict resolution management and ability to effectively challenge at all levels of management and influence business outcomes.
- Ability to effectively work with both internal and external partners in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and knowledge of data analysis tools and techniques and decision-making abilities, to include demonstrated ability to effectively make data-driven decisions.
- Proactively identifies potential concerns and follows-up to resolve issues.