Transmission Engineer (2 positions - REMOTE)
REMOTE, REMOTE US
Job Title: Engineer III;Transmission
Department: Power Delivery
Pay Range: $110K- $145K
Contract or Direct Hire: Direct
Other: 2 openings
As a Transmission Engineer III, your role is pivotal in the engineering, design, and analysis of transmission lines, as well as the development of comprehensive project packages. This position offers an opportunity for leadership, technical mastery, and the chance to shape the future of power delivery solutions within our dynamic organization. Join us and be a driving force behind the advancement of transmission line engineering.
- Responsible for the engineering and design of high voltage (69-500kV) transmission lines using PLS-CADD.
- Prepare construction documents including plan and profile drawings, structure loading trees, and foundation and assembly drawings.
- Serve as a senior technical expert, overseeing the entire lifecycle of transmission line projects.
- Conducting detailed analysis to ensure system reliability and efficiency.
- Provide field support during construction.
- Plans, schedules, conducts and coordinates work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Performs work which involves conventional engineering practices, but may involve a variety of complex features.
- Requires strong knowledge of precedents in specialty areas and familiarity with basic principles and practices in related specialties.
- May coordinate departmental and divisional project studies and report preparation assignments.
- This position requires an experienced and competent individual capable of successfully solving difficult problems that require adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Must be capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered.
- Adhere to codes and standards while delivering innovative solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Requirements (min)
B.S. In Engineering from ABET accredited program
8-13+ years premised on extensive, varied, progressive experience in applicable field
- E. Required or able to obtain licensure within 6 months
- Membership and participation with professional organizations encouraged (e.G. ASCE, IEEE, SEI).
- PLS CADD Suite (PLS CADD, Pole wood/steel/concrete, Caisson, Tower and Grid preferred)
- GIS Software
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Teams, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Foundation Design Software (MFAD, LPILE)
- Capable of all technical requirements of an Engineer II
- Can demonstrate a working knowledge of real-world engineering topics that fall within the engineers discipline to the extent that the engineer can competently participate in a technical discussion with other SMEs within that discipline
- Mentors and supervises engineering staff (Eng.I and Eng.II)
- Provides training presentations within the engineer's discipline to educate others within the company on topics related to the discipline.
- Is a recognized Subject Matter Expert on one or more specific topics within their engineering discipline. Expands knowledge in other areas of specialty or discipline, developing breadth or further develops expertise and specialization in one area.
- Able to run complex engineering calculations applicable to discipline. Provides engineering and technical solutions by using existing or developing tools, methods, approaches and tactics in new ways or by modifying and improving them.
- Presents engineering research, findings solutions and recommendations to leadership
- Works independently under limited direction and guidance
- Independently evaluates, determines and applies standard engineering techniques and approaches using independent judgement
- Manage multi-disciplined engineering team including engineering contractors
- Independently performs all tasks necessary to complete primary design of engineering work.
- Assistance is provided for challenging or difficult assignment but possesses the ability and judgement to investigate and recommend alternative approaches for assignment that do not have clear objectives
- Project Documentation: Ability to create and maintain project documentation, including drawings, specifications, and reports.
- Quality Assurance and Control: Understanding of quality assurance and quality control processes to ensure project deliverables meet required standards.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration: Skill in collaborating with multidisciplinary teams, including electrical engineers, designers, environmental experts, and project managers.
- Regulatory Compliance: Knowledge of regulatory requirements and compliance related to transmission line projects, including local, state, and federal regulations.
- Emerging Technologies: Awareness of emerging technologies and trends in the field of transmission engineering, including advancements in materials and construction methods.
- Professional Development: Commitment to continuous learning and staying up-to-date with industry developments and best practices.
- Communication Skills: Effective communication skills to convey technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving Abilities: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to address complex engineering challenges.
- Mentorship and Leadership: Capability to provide mentorship to junior engineers and take on leadership roles within project teams.
- Ethical and Safety Awareness: Adherence to ethical standards and a strong commitment to safety in engineering practices.
Discipline Technical Knowledge
- Basic understanding of survey data and LiDAR
- Advanced understanding of electrical equipment for substations, transmission and distribution projects including switchgear, transformers, instrument transformers and battery systems.
- Ability to develop and complete complex project plans and routing drawings with CAD and other engineering support per equipment, client and industry requirements.
- Ability to lead and develop electrical equipment specifications for transformers, circuit breakers and switchgear, instrument transformers with other support engineers.
- Advanced Ability to develop complex and detailed electrical one-lines, three-lines, schematics, and connection diagrams.
- Transmission Line Design: Proficiency in designing transmission line systems, including tower and pole structures, conductors, insulators, and foundations.
- Structural and Civil Engineering: Understanding of structural and civil engineering principles as they relate to transmission line projects, including foundation design and tower structural analysis.
- Electrical Engineering: Knowledge of electrical engineering concepts related to power transmission, such as load flow analysis, short circuit analysis, and voltage drop calculations.
- Codes and Standards: Familiarity with industry codes and standards governing transmission line design and safety, including NESC (National Electrical Safety Code) and GO 95 (General Order 95).
- Project Management: Skills in project management, including planning, scheduling, budgeting, and resource allocation.
- Software Proficiency: Proficiency in engineering software tools such as PLS CADD, AutoCAD, and other relevant software used for transmission line design and analysis.
- Materials and Equipment: Understanding of materials and equipment used in transmission line construction and maintenance, including transformers, insulators, and conductors.
- Environmental Regulations: Awareness of environmental regulations and considerations relevant to transmission line projects, such as permitting requirements.
- Safety Practices: Knowledge of safety protocols and best practices for working on transmission line projects, including understanding the risks associated with high-voltage systems.
- Geographical Considerations: Familiarity with geographical factors that can impact transmission line design and construction, such as terrain, weather conditions, and seismic considerations.
Personal Management Skills
- Capable of managing an engineering team
- Understanding of Project Management and ability to create estimates, schedules, and reports
- May PM engineering only projects requiring project control
- Able to run project on their own, meeting and managing engineering deliverables as senior engineer
- Able to estimate engineering level of effort